News

Jacinta Allan

Mailing List

Keep up to date,
join our mailing list.

> Go

Community urged to have it's say

Wednesday, 6 April 2011

The Member for Bendigo East, Jacinta Allan, today urged the local community to have their say on the future of education in Eaglehawk.

Speaking in Parliament yesterday, Ms Allan said that she was encouraging people to make a submission in the absence of the Liberal-National Party Government making a public statement alerting the community that the consultation period had started.

"The Department of Education placed an advertisement in the local paper last Friday calling for submissions on the future of Eaglehawk Primary School."

"It is worrying that the Liberal-National Government has not made any public statements, bringing to the community's attention the opportunity to have their say."

"Is this because they do not want to hear from parents who want to send their children to the new $11 million school at Comet Hill?"

"Work on this new school has ground to a halt, leaving parents in limbo over the future of their children's education."

"Meanwhile the Liberal-National Government is trying to stich up a consultation process that will not consider all the options for education in the local community."

"I am encouraging the local community to take the time to make a submission to ensure that all the options around the future of education in the Eaglehawk community are considered," Ms Allan said.

• Hansard Attached

LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY DAILY HANSARD - Tuesday 5th April 2011

Eaglehawk Primary School: future

Ms ALLAN (Bendigo East) - Last week the Liberal-National Government called for submissions, via an advertisement in the Bendigo Advertiser, on the future of the Eaglehawk Primary School. I am encouraging the local community to take the time to make a submission to ensure that all the options around the future of education in the Eaglehawk community are considered.

The Liberal-National Government and its local representative, a member for Northern Victoria Region in the other place, Mr Drum, have not made any public statements about the calling for submissions and the placing of an advertisement last Friday. I am deeply concerned about what this means for the students at Eaglehawk Primary School and for the parents who had planned to send their children to the new, $11 million school that was planned to be built at Comet Hill. There is now massive uncertainty in the local community about the future of this $11 million school.

The Government, the Minister for Education and Mr Drum, in calling for submissions and, according to the Bendigo Advertiser, ‘looking at the needs of Eaglehawk PS', need to allow this consultation process to consider all the education options for children in the local community. They should not run away and hide behind the department and consultants on this important issue.

I am forced to make this statement in the Parliament because, as I said, the Government, including the Minister and the local representative, have not made a public statement about the placement of this advertisement or about the calling for submissions on the future of Eaglehawk Primary School, and I want to make sure that the local community, which I represent in Bendigo East, is fully apprised of the details of this and can make submissions accordingly.

Back to News